Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gluten Free Rice with Leeks, Mushrooms, and Arame



Dear Friends!

I hope this note finds you well. This year I have decided to try to eat healthier (key word – try ;)) and use up the ingredients that I have in my kitchen. I came across an interesting recipe in the book that I bought a long time ago by Terry Walters “Clean Start,” and have decided to give it a go.
I changed the recipe a bit with the ingredients that I had, but the concept is the same. It was very easy to make and unexpectedly, VERY DELICIOUS.

Ingredients:
½ cup brown rice
1.5 cup of water
½ tsp of salt

½ cup of dried arame
1 cup of water

3 garlic cloves, minced
1 leek, white part, thinly sliced
10 mushrooms (I used whatever I had in the fridge: creminis or shitakes)
1 tbsp of goat milk butter
1 tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Ume Plum Vinegar

Start with placing rice in a small pot with 1.5 cup of water, and ½ tsp salt. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook covered until ready, which should be ~20 minutes or so. Do check on the rice in the process to test the water level. If the water was absorbed but the rice is still not cooked enough, add a little more water and continue to cook for several minutes longer.
After placing the rice in a pot and starting cooking, put arame in a bowl with 1 cup of water and let it soak.
Now start cooking the rest of the ingredients. Place the butter and EVOO in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté leek with garlic until soft, about 5 minutes or so. Add mushrooms, stir and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes, until mushrooms are brown. Check on your rice and see if it is ready. It should be ready by now.
Add a little bit of water (1/4 water) to the mixture, mix the ingredients with added water. 

Now for Arame - Drain water, add fresh water and drain it again.

Add the rice and arame to the skillet, mix the mixture, and place in a dish. Season to taste with ume plum vinegar (I use about ½ tsp) and serve.
I hope you enjoy it! It is absolutely delicious and very easy to make.
Cheers,

Sasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It

 
SASHA'S DELIGHTS © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat